This program is designed to provide assistance to members for the following:
- To improve creative skills
- To gain greater knowledge of the music industry
- To conduct business that seeks to promote and market MusicNL members outside the province
- To attend music related conferences, festivals and events
- To showcase a music conferences, festivals and events
Applications must be received at the MusicNL office no later than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the start date of the proposed project. Late applications will not be considered.
• All projects must demonstrate financial need in order to be considered. All projects must meet the program objectives.
• Applicants may apply for up to 100% of eligible expenses to a maximum of:
- $1000 Solo Member/Artist domestic travel
- $1500 Duo domestic travel
- $2000 Group* domestic travel
- $2000 Solo Member/Artist international travel
- $3000 Duo international travel
- $4000 Group* international travel
Monies are a grant and not repayable.
It is recommended that applicants contact MusicNL to discuss the proposed project prior to submitting the application at firstname.lastname@example.org or 709-754-2574.
*Group is considered 3 or more individuals. Company travel funds can be accessed by maximum of two individuals per application.
How Are Decisions Made?
- The MusicNL Funding Committee is made up of a minimum of three (3) industry professionals and a Government Liaison.
- These meetings happen monthly and are facilitated by the MusicNL Operations & Program Manager.
- Your application form and supporting materials should provide all the information the Committee needs to know about you and your project.
• Travel subsidies will be available for all MusicNL members supporting them to attend the MusicNL Week Conference and ECMA Conference up to a maximum of 50%. Under this program a percentage of travel and accommodations will be provided with a separate application process where members will report on specific duties at the respective events. MusicNL staff will review these submissions that will be approved by the board. For more information and deadlines please contact the MusicNL office for more information.
- Applicant must be a member of MusicNL in good standing.
- Applicant must have been a MusicNL member for at least six (6) months prior to the application.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Applications will be limited to a maximum annual funding of $4000 for solo members/artists and $8000 for group members regardless of the number of applications made in that period.
Restrictions to eligible expenses
- Best economy rates for flights, hotels and vehicle rentals only
- Mileage under Government of Newfoundland and Labrador provincial rate is eligible only when using privately owned vehicle. Mileage forms must be completed.
- In order to access per diems applicant must have artist or groups individual signatures outlining number of travel days
- Conference and delegate fees will be 50% reimbursed
- Only those expenses incurred after the application has been received by MusicNL
- Any hired side musicians must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador in order to access side musician fees and/or per diems. Proof of residency may be required.
- Travel, including transportation costs to and from the conference, festival or event
- Per diems
- Project specific promotional material (if applicable)
- Conference/delegate fees
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
- Any expenses for project when no shortfall has occurred
- Foreign musicians and manager fees
- Award show ticket purchases
- Office rent and office wages
- Rental or purchase of any equipment
- Traffic ticket expenses
- Costumes and wardrobe expenses
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed
- Your application will not be reviewed if you have a final report that is overdue.
- You are required to use the budget template provided in the application form.
- Include a separate budget that reports the full cost of the project (all expenses incurred even if not eligible under this program.) This information will aid MusicNL in calculating the private investment in each project and to analyse the amount of investment Newfoundland and Labrador music initiatives might require.
- Successful applicants will receive investment support until funding for the fiscal year is exhausted. Money left over will be held for the next funding period.
- MusicNL reserves the right to decline or approve any application.
- All projects must be approved by March 31 of the current fiscal year.
How to Apply
All of the following must accompany your application:
- Complete project description
- Project objectives
- How your project meets the goals of the funding program
- Complete budget
- Professional history of the applicant
- Complete application form
- Project agenda
- Showcasing/Festival applicants must provide a written invitation to showcase with the application
- Demonstrated ability to finance expenses not covered in this funding program.
How to Submit:
- All applications must be submitted electronically
- All files must be compressed into a single .zip file. If updates are required at a later date, please include a date in the file name.
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission, email email@example.com
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks in advance.
- Appointments must be made through firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment Process and Project Completion
PAYMENT PROCESS AND PROJECT COMPLETION
- Payment will be issued with 40% up front and 60% upon completion of final report.
- Eligible travel under this program must originate and end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- MusicNL reserves the right to a period of four weeks (20 business days) in order to process a claim once all appropriate receipts and final report are received.
- Repayment shall be required if receipts do not exceed the 40% up front payment
- Approved applicants are required to sign a Funding Agreement that outlines terms and conditions of funding.
- The final report must be filed within thirty (30) days of the project’s completion. Failure to do so will void the current application and make the applicant ineligible for future funding.
- The final report must include a detailed financial statement of actual revenues and expenses accompanied by original receipts/invoices as supporting documentation. This information must be laid out in spreadsheet format.
- Recipients are subject to provincial government audit. Please retain all supporting documentation
186 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL
A1C 1G5 Canada
Phone: (709) 754-2574